I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy when I was in middle school and high school, but veered away from it sometime after college. I don’t read a lot of fantasy any more, but I do read a lot of kids’ literature and young adult literature, much of which could be considered fantasy and science fiction.
The books that are on this list are either books that I have read or books that have been recommended to me by people that know me and that I trust to give recommendations, and which I fully intend to read eventually. I know I left one or two (or more) of your favorites off. Please feel free to add a comment telling me what they are.
These are not in any particular order, and as a result, there may be duplicates.
- J.R.R. Tolkien – The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion
I read these in sixth and seventh grade and still reread them every three or four years. It’s been a while, so I’m definitely overdue.
- C.S. Lewis – The Chronicles of Narnia
I first read these in fifth grade when my friend Rick was reading them (long story), and have fond memories of them. Unfortunately, I have tried to reread them as an adult, and they don’t hold up well (even longer story).
- Philip Pullman – His Dark Materials trilogy
- Terry Brooks – Shannara series
- Stephen Donaldson – The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series
- John Bellairs – The House with a Clock in its Walls
- Diane Duane – So You Want to be a Wizard
- Terry Goodkind – Sword of Truth series
- William Goldman – The Princess Bride
- Roger Zelazny – The Chronicles of Amber series
- Richard Adams – Watership Down
- Lewis Carroll – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Roald Dahl – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- George Orwell – Animal Farm
- T.H. White – The Once and Future King
- Michael Ende – The Neverending Story
- Susanna Clarke – Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
- D.J. McHale – The Merchant of Death
- Ray Bradbury – Something Wicked This Way Comes
- Antoin de Saint-Exupery – The Little Prince
- Norton Juster – The Phantom Tollbooth
- Diana Wynne Jones – Howl’s Moving Castle
- Peter S. Beagle – The Last Unicorn
Published on: 3 July 2011
Lasted edited on: 24 January 2015