I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy when I was in middle school and high school, but veered away from it sometime after college. I don’t read a lot of fantasy any more, but I do read a lot of kids’ literature and young adult literature, much of which could be considered fantasy and science fiction.
The books that are on this list are either books that I have read or books that have been recommended to me by people that know me and that I trust to give recommendations, and which I fully intend to read eventually. I know I left one or two (or more) of your favorites off. Please feel free to add a comment telling me what they are.
These are not in any particular order, and as a result, there may be duplicates.
- J.R.R. Tolkien – The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion
I read these in sixth and seventh grade and still reread them every three or four years. It’s been a while, so I’m definitely overdue.
- C.S. Lewis – The Chronicles of Narnia
I first read these in fifth grade when my friend Rick was reading them (long story), and have fond memories of them. Unfortunately, I have tried to reread them as an adult, and they don’t hold up well (even longer story).
- Philip Pullman – His Dark Materials trilogy
- Terry Brooks – Shannara series
- Stephen Donaldson – The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series
- John Bellairs – The House with a Clock in its Walls
- Diane Duane – So You Want to be a Wizard
- Terry Goodkind – Sword of Truth series
- William Goldman – The Princess Bride
- Roger Zelazny – The Chronicles of Amber series
- Richard Adams – Watership Down
- Lewis Carroll – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Roald Dahl – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- George Orwell – Animal Farm
- T.H. White – The Once and Future King
- Michael Ende – The Neverending Story
- Susanna Clarke – Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
- D.J. McHale – The Merchant of Death
- Ray Bradbury – Something Wicked This Way Comes
- Antoin de Saint-Exupery – The Little Prince
- Norton Juster – The Phantom Tollbooth
- Diana Wynne Jones – Howl’s Moving Castle
- Peter S. Beagle – The Last Unicorn
Support This Site
I don’t run ads on this site, so if you found this post useful or enjoyable, please support this site by sharing this post on your favorite social media by using the buttons above. If you would like to contribute to the server costs, you can also contribute via PayPal at paypal.me/kjodle. I appreciate your support.
Published on: 3 July 2011
Lasted edited on: 24 January 2015